Tuesday 31 January 2017

Hammocking in the woods

Wintertime is a fine time to go hammocking in the woods! Back in November I took to the woods after a great weekend at a bird conference in the Scottish Highlands. It was proper cold, at around -8°C, with great fingers of hoar frost everywhere. It was also incredibly dry and crisp as I hiked out into the forest in the last rays of the day. The sunset sky was cloudless and sharp and full of Scot's pine silhouettes and in the fading light I made a dump of my kit while I hunted out my site for the night. I settled on a duo of birch and pine and quickly set up the hammock tapes, the tarp with ridgeline and pegged guys, and then set up all the warm stuff - two sleeping bags, a thermarest and a pillow (hey, why not be super comfortable!). The hammock is a DD Camping Hammock and while a little heavier than their cool Superlight design, it is a great buy. I love the double zipped layer which is where I stick the thermarest. I then climbed into my winter bag in the hammock, and zipped up a 3/4 season bag up on the outside of the hammock - properly toasty!






Trouble was, it warmed up a huge amount in the night, to a balmy 0°C, with snow and sleet and drizzle. At some unearthly hour I did have to climb out of my cosy nest to adjust the tarp, closing up one end to a narrow gap. This definitely helped but the tarp could have been tighter and anyhow, my outer sleep bag poked out some and got a bit damp. Under the tarp it was fine and I had my things hanging up in easy reach - headtorch, waterbottle, extra warm things, snacks. Come the morning, as I had prepped for deep freeze, I woke up totally boiling, far too hot!! De-rigging quickly I headed out on a now very icy path and under one heck of a louring sky and I made it back to the car just in time before the heavens opened and then opened some more!! Was still a top night and I especially loved listening to the crossbills calling in the treetops above my hammock. And the hot tea and chocolate croissants for brekkers, in the hammock, were pretty good too!
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment